Osgood Owl

Friday, November 24, 2006

VOC - Red Rock Canyon

It's been a while since I've posted and I have at least a couple things to update. We'll start with this...

I took my cousin Boq to work with ShadowOwl on a project with Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado in the Red Rock Canyon Open Space in Colorado Springs.


Every year ShadowOwl and I do at least one project with VOC. We enjoy making the parks in Colorado better.

After hiking for about a mile or two we reached our section of the trail.

You get to see all kinds of things on these projects. There were several deer though I only managed to capture a photo of Boq checking out this track a deer had left behind.

One of the main aspects of our part of the trail was to build an armored berm.

This berm would allow for the trail to cross the washout area at the bottom of the canyon without getting washed out itself.

They, not I, for I am not so strong, moved several very large rocks to make this berm happen. Boq moved the smaller rocks into position between the large rocks to fill the gaps. He's very industrious.

Here's the finished armored berm. Boq was very proud of his part.
"Mawwkk!"

After the work was done they fed us chili and pie which we enjoyed in the beautiful surroundings of the park.

It's amazing how such a beautiful area can be so close to a downtown area. This open space park is just one highway exit South of the downtown exit for Colorado Springs. It's also a very popluar area for rock climbers and I can entirely see why. It's gorgeous.

They often give out little goodies for each project. A little something to take home to remember the project and to act as a thank you.

Boq could hardly wait to see what was in the bag.

Boq loved the candy. He surprised me though by talking about the project for the next week or so. He was so thrilled to hear that the berm he helped make would probably be there for a hundred years.
"Mawk. Mawwkk!"

As I said, excited. I like my cousin Boq. He's a good owl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home